Join our team of Systems Engineers and Analysts dedicated to configuring, monitoring, troubleshooting, measuring, and understanding the behavior and performance of Itron DA wireless networks.
This position requires deep technical knowledge of Distribution Automation communication systems, and industry shared technologies that support DA (Unix, routing protocols, IPSec, Link Layer Communications, Linux-Python-VBA scripting, data management, data analysis etc.).
Our team utilizes off-the-shelf and develops customized tools for monitoring networks, automating reports, and creating data sets to assist in analysis and troubleshooting.
The DA Systems Engineer embeds with customers and is a subject matter expert in DA deployment procedures, system architecture, routing architecture and recommends industry best practices for successfully integrating Itron DA technology with third party vendor technology.
We work directly with DA product line managers on new product analysis, new product testing, new product customer implementations, and think “out of the box” for ad-hoc solutions in challenging deployment environments.
We are seeking to add a Systems Engineer to our team.
This position requires an array of technical skills that will be utilized across a network’s life cycle, as well as excellent customer-facing skills due to frequent and fluid customer interactions.
- Use a Unix shell to perform advanced network management tasks.
- Learn and become an expert in Itron’s mesh routing protocols and network management tools.
- Configure, monitor, analyze and troubleshoot IPv6 and IPv4 mesh networks.
- Create, document, and deploy scripts and other tools to support device or system configuration, troubleshooting, monitoring, and reporting.
- Support workflow automation: design and develop ad-hoc solutions for specific issues.
- Support internal and external customers as needed:
- Serve as a technical knowledge escalation point and a resource for customer facing personnel.
- Interface with and assist internal Itron groups such as Customer Support, Network Operations, Product Management, InfoSec, Manufacturing, Engineering, and Customer Delivery.
- Understand, implement, and convey Itron’s technology for the purposes of providing architectural guidance, design documentation, and operational process documents to meet customer needs.
- Provide expertise in data gathering, troubleshooting, hypothesis creation and testing, event correlation and other analytical tasks in support of field troubleshooting, or engineering development.
- Provide expertise in development of deployment management tools to ensure customer delivery is successful.
- Utilize the Itron ticketing systems to track bugs and enhancements
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a science or engineering discipline (e.g., computer science, mathematics, physics, or a related field) or equivalent qualifying work or study experience.
- Excellent knowledge of IP networking:
- IP addressing, static routing, and RIP routing protocols.
- TCP/IP, DNS, NTP.
- Network security and IPsec.
- At least two years of experience using the Unix shell and basic Unix utilities
- Programming: Experience with scripting languages such as Bash, PHP, Python, VBA.
- Basic familiarity with Databases (e.g.
MySQL, Oracle) and a basic knowledge of SQL.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to multi-task and track multiple independent concurrent projects and manage them to resolution in a timely manner.
Additional desirable qualifications:
- At least two years of experience in an operational, technical, or customer facing role.
- Experience with web services, REST APIs, etc.
- Understanding and hands on experience on X509 certificates, PKI, SSL, certificate chains, revocation lists.
- Experience with the software development life cycle (development, testing, revision control systems, documentation, etc).
- Experience with Java programming, debugging, bug fixing, and maintenance.
- Advanced knowledge of Quickbase tools and code development for Customer Delivery Support
- RF/Wireless networking (e.g., Wi-Fi, ZigBee) and IPv6.
- Cisco configuration experience.
Itron is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.
Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, sex (including gender identity, gender expression and pregnancy), sexual orientation, age, national origin, military or veteran status, political preference, marital status, mental or physical disability including medical condition), genetic information or other status protected by law.
Itron enables utilities and cities to safely, securely and reliably deliver critical infrastructure services to communities in more than 100 countries.
Our portfolio of smart networks, software, services, meters and sensors helps our customers better manage electricity, gas and water resources for the people they serve.
By working with our customers to ensure their success, we help improve the quality of life, ensure the safety and promote the well-being of millions of people around the globe.
Itron is dedicated to creating a more resourceful world.