POSITION SUMMARY: A Driver – CDL (A) is responsible for safely operating a heavy commercial truck, a tractor trailer or a straight truck with a pup trailer, or other vehicle requiring a class A CDL, to provide prompt and courteous delivery and removal of large containers. The Driver – CDL (A) is responsible for ensuring his or her vehicle is in compliance with the Company’s safety standards prior to operating the vehicle, ensures that all Company, state and federal regulations are adhered to at all times while operating the vehicle, and completes vehicle condition reports (“VCRs”) on a daily basis to ensure that any vehicle defects are repaired in a timely manner.
• Perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the vehicle in accordance with Company policy to ensure tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges, and controls are in proper working order. Report any safety issues on standard reports.
• Safely operate his or her heavy truck along designated route and to the disposal site; read route sheet, follow map and service each customer as identified on the route sheet or as assigned by the dispatcher and/or supervisor.
• Operate manual and/or automatic controls in accordance with Company safety policies and procedures to lift and load refuse, operate compactor and dispose of collected material at the designated facility.
• Courteously interact with all customers, dispatchers and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
• Perform minor repairs to containers on site or in the container yard.
• Identify unsatisfactory waste containers and tag containers in accordance with applicable departmental procedures.
• Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste.
• Clean area around an accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
• Continuously monitor the condition of the vehicle to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize down time; clean waste from the container and container edges on each disposal trip.
• Complete required route/productivity sheets, VCRs and other reports, as required.
• Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a timely and efficient manner.
• Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
• Actively participate in the Company’s ReSOP program.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
• Good customer services skills to meet and exceed customer expectations; acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner toward customers and co-workers; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
• Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
• Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; does not take inappropriate risks.
• Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
• Two years of prior experience driving commercial trucks preferred.
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude to be able to do perform minor repairs to containers.
• Class A Commercial Driver’s license with air brakes endorsement.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.